Operastudio: a high specialization project for opera singers organized from 2010 by the Universidad de Alcalá – Madrid – Spain
Operastudio are high performance centres for opera singers and performing arts professionals that has decades of tradition in all Europe and USA. The main opera theatres organize this activity but our Operastudio is the only in Europe linked to a prestigious academic centre, this allow us to accredit this training.
The Universidad de Alcalá, declared World Heritage by the Unesco in 1998, it is one of the oldest and more prestigious of Europe, located in Madrid, Spain, about 30.000 students made their university studies in it. In parallel of this, The Universidad de Alcalá also develop an extensive cultural and artistic programme.
It’s Fundación General, decided in 2010 to start up this new project, OPERASTUDIO, pioneer in Spain, linked in the best lyric professionals with the academic tradition of our University. The Project was born as renovation of the Workshop of stage performance for opera singers, directed by Giancarlo del Monaco, (2005 – 2009), it gave us a lot of experience about the training needs of this sector.
More than 600 singers, in many cases postgraduates, have participated in the six promotions of Operastudio, evaluating as very satisfactory their experience, and many of them have had the opportunity of put into practice their knowledge in paid concerts open to the public, where they have showed their high potential.
The new offer has achieved the high specialization of young singers pushing their professional careers, many of them have achieved success in the most important stages in the world.
Operastudio is supported by all the management team of Fundación General (Universidad de Alcalá) and it is leaded by Lourdes Pérez-Sierra, pianist specialized in performing arts management and founder of this project.
In its eleven programmes have participated between others Masters of international prestigious as the conductors Gianluigi Gelmetti, Miquel Ortega and José Miguel Pérez-Sierra, the sopranos Mariella Devia and Isabel Rey, the mezzo Teresa Berganza, the conductors Eduardo López Banzo and Alberto Zedda (the most worldwide expert in Rossini), the pianists Edelmiro Arnaltes and Juan Antonio Álvarez Parejo (partners of Alfredo Kraus and Teresa Berganza respectively), the stage directors Ignacio García (National Prize), Jochen Schonleber (Rossini Wildbad Festival director) and Paul Emile Fourny (Artistic Director of Metz Metropole Opera –Theatre), the prestigious singer teacher Ana Luisa Chova, the tenor Aquiles Machado and the countertenors Carlos Mena and Xavier Sabata andd the baritone Carlos Álvarez. Also we have had the opportunity to learn about artistic agents as Miguel Lerín, Alfonso Leoz, Carlos Marén and Marc Mazy between others. Operastudio offers also career coaching and pathophysiology services for all the students and professionals. All the participants are included in an active job board where could participate in Lyric concerts and cycles as Lírica en el Corral. (corraldealcala.com)
The development of the Project we have counted with the sponsorship of AIE and the collaboration of the institutions: Comunidad de Madrid, Ayuntamiento de Alcalá de Henares, Fundación SGAE, Opera 2001 Company, Corral de Comedias de Alcalá de Henares, Escuela Superior de Canto de Madrid, Teatro Real and Cristina Vázquez Zedda who has sponsored the creation of Escuela de Perfeccionamiento Alberto Zedda.
Operastudio Masterclasses Programme 2021/2022:
- XAVIER SABATA, countertenor. Vocal performance. «V Baroque Opera Workshop» (musical module) 15 to 18 December 2021
- JOCHEN SCHÖNLEBER, stage director and Rossini in Wildbad Festival Director. Meeting -audition. 19 February 2022
- IGNACIO GARCÍA, stage director and Festival Internacional de Teatro Clásico de Almagro Director. “Verismo and zarzuela. The ways of the character in the second century”. 25,26 and 27 February 2022
- MARIELLA DEVIA, soprano. “Technique and vocal performance”. From 8 to 12 March 2022.
- EMILIO SAGI, stage director “Stage performance for opera singers”. From 5 to 8 April 2022.
- III ESCUELA DE PERFECCIONAMIENTO ALBERTO ZEDDA. JOSÉ MIGUEL PÉREZ –SIERRA, conductor. “The legacy of Maestro Zedda, vocal performance for singers and conductors”. From 9 to 13 May 2022. PAUL ÈMILE FOURNY, stage director and Metz Métropole Opéra -Théâtre Artistic Director. “VI Workshop in stage performance of French opera”. From 13 to 17 July 2022
- XAVIER SABATA, countertenor. Vocal performance. «V Baroque Opera Workshop» (stage module) 19 to 23 July 2022
- MIQUEL ORTEGA, composer, pianist and conductor. “Masterclass of high specialization in lyrical Spanish repertoire”. From 8 to 11 September 2022
- IGNACIO COBETA, and ELENA MORA. Professors of Otorhinolaryngology. Vocal Pathophysiology. 19,20,21 October 2022
- LOURDES PÉREZ-SIERRA, Operastudio director and coach accredited by AECOP. Career coaching. Individual sessions during the academic course